Navigator, Critical Thinker, Citizen, Communicator, Innovative, Self-Aware, Ethical, Globally-Minded
ON THE HORIZON…..
- All School PTL Meeting, Wednesday, May 9, 8:15am
- All School Choral Concert, Thursday, May 10, 6:30pm in the Campbell Center
- All-School Art Show, May 15 – 18 in the Sharpe Gymnasium
- 7th Grade Field Trip to Trinity Rep to see “Ragtime”, Tuesday, May 15, 9:00am – 12:15pm
- 7th Grade Field Trip to the Deep Water Wind Farm, Block Island Sound, Wednesday, May 16
- 6th Grade Field Trip to RISD, Thursday, May 17
- 8th Grade Field Trip to Newport – Volvo Ocean Regatta In-Port Race, (connected to science PBL), Saturday, May 19, 10:00 am departure from RHS
THIS WEEK …..
- SATURDAY, 4/28 – (TODAY!!) Brown University Lacrosse Double Header $5: for anyone interested in a great afternoon of lacrosse.
12pm Girls Lax vs Dartmouth
4pm Boys Lax vs DartmouthSign Up: brownbears.comPromo Code: MARINERS
- MONDAY, 4/30
- Mrs. Cunningham will be coming to English Classes to help all students reset passwords for school accounts.
- WEDNESDAY, 5/2
- Critical Friends Groups Meeting, 7:30am
- THURSDAY, 5/3
- All School Instrumental Concert, Thursday, May 3, 6:30pm in the Campbell Center. This will be a no-homework night.
- FRIDAY, 5/4
- Middle School Dance #3, 7:00 – 9:30pm. Baked goods and other treats will be on sale by the Interact Club to raise money for their summer community service trip to Puerto Rico.
Lunch Clean Up: Sweeping and Food Waste Weight
ADVISORY GROUP – Ms. Conroy’s Group
- Monday: Biagio, Jaida & Andrew
- Tuesday: Hamad, Dudley, Waela
- Wednesday: Collin, Jaida & Biagio
- Thursday: Andrew, Hamad
- Friday: Dudley & Waela, Collin
SPORTS: Games and Matches this week
TUESDAY, MAY 1
- Boys Lacrosse @ St. Michaels Country Day, 4;00pm
- Girls Lacrosse vs St. Michaels Country Day, 3;45pm POTLUCK DINNER to follow.
- Tennis @ Lincoln School, 4;00pm
Ella Gallant ’23 was awarded first place at the Middle School level by AAA Northeast for her poster promoting safe driving. Please vote for Ella who is competing in the finals of this competition at this link. VOTE FOR ELLANORA!
A Look Ahead 4/26 – News from the Center of Innovation
- Next Podcast Recording: Secretary of State, Nellie Gorbea will be interviewed by sophomore Isabella Robinson. Latest Podcast HERE!
- Several student groups will be heading out to Block Island Sound for a behind-the-scenes, hands-on learning experience to learn about the Block Island Wind Project. Students will board a vessel with Director of the Coastal Resource Center, Jen McCann, and Dr. Joy Hadley from Quonset port.
- Director of Innovation is preparing to present the impact measures from the study completed last month for several audiences. These digital and/or in- person presentations will be shared soon.
- Students in grades 3-5 returned from an exciting interactive experience at Boston Productions. Students got to learn, test, design, and provide real-time feedback to the designers, engineers, scientists creating these interactive exhibits.
- 2nd and 3rd graders will be working with Spring Innovator-in-Residence Ana Bess Moyer Bell in classrooms on a collaborative project Friday.
- Students in Ashley Lee’s first grade class will be collaborating with Innovator-in-Residence, Ana Bess Moyer Bell ‘06 on a Fairy Tale Project focusing on written expression on May 1st.
- Art teacher, Lauren Savoia, the RHS technology team, led by Martha Cunningham, Darshell Silva and Kevan Patel collaborated with LearnLaunch 3DES founders Nandu Vellal and Rich Thall alongside robotics and engineering consultant Chris Savoia, from Universal Robotics to create 3D designed and printed kinetic art pieces. They will be in the Middle School commons all day Friday!
- Students in Pam Matson’s Human Physiology and BioEthics have connected their learning and activism to organ donation. They are busy working with the Director of Driver’s Education in the State of Rhode Island, who leads the CCRI programs, as well as alternative driver’s education company, Labonte’s to distribute their video to use in their programs!
- 9th grade English teacher, Jess Russell will be working with Innovator-in-Resident, Ana Bess Moyer Bell ‘06 on Tuesday, May 1st.
- Tom Farrell’s Spanish 1 student, Bridget Vanderveer, worked with Innovator-in-Resident, Ana Bess Moyer Bell ‘06 to write a short play she wrote about a student’s experience with AD/HD for the class to perform.
- Rocky Hill School has been invited by IMSA (Illinois Math and Science Academy) to attend the 2018 International Student Science Fair.
Major Projects, Tests, Assignments…..
- English: working on This I Believe essay. Due date: TBD
- Government; Quiz, Monday, April 30
- Honors geometry: chapter 8 take home test due in class Monday 4/30
- Geography: Working on Rivers of Asia Project. Presentation due on April 30.
- English: Monsoon Summer final essay due Friday, 5/11
- Spanish: Unit 4 Lesson 1 test this coming Tuesday, 4/24
- English:IRB due Monday, 4/30, Essay Draft due Tuesday, 5/1 & Final Draft due Friday, 5/4, Expository Film due Wednesday, 5/9
- French: Unit test on sports and games + Haiti on May 4th
The 8th grade science class worked together to create a synchronized motion with their robots. Here are two videos, one from each section, in which the students describe this activity and some of the challenges.
By Kara Lee
By Enzo Battaglia