Middle School SOCIAL CONTRACT 2017
As is our tradition, the Middle School students brainstormed, collaborated, refined and articulated the values we will hold as a community to make our school environment as strong as it can be this year. This process begins with groups in each grade coming up with what they feel is important, and then as a grade taking the input from each group and finding commonalities and debating differences. Finally, each grade chose representatives to share their statements with the other grades, and repeated the refinement process. Here is this year’s Social Contract.
1. Be Mindful
2. Respect people’s differences and how they want to be treated.
3. Take pride and have fun in all of you academics and extra curricular activities.
4. Be focused, be persistent, be responsible.
5. Have an Open Mind
ON THE HORIZON…..
- New Family Coffee, Tuesday, October 3, 8:00am. Please RSVP with Rachel Burnett, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Middle School PTL Meeting, Wednesday, October 4, 8:15am in the Campbell Conference Room
- 8th Grade Preview Night in the Upper School, Thursday, October 5, 5:30 pm dinner in Campbell, 6:15pm program in the Flynn Academic Center.
- Spirit Week, October 10 – 13
- Homecoming, Saturday, October 14
- Middle School Parent & Adviser Conferences, Tuesday, October 10 – Wednesday, October 19. Advisers will be contacting families the week of October 3 to schedule conferences.
THIS WEEK …..
- MONDAY, 9/25
- 8 White kayaking during science: 12:45 – 2:20pm. 8 Blue – double English
- 19th Annual Fall Golf/Tennis Classic – Monday, September 25. RHS Afternoon Bus departs school at 4:15pm
- TUESDAY, 9/26
- 8 Blue kayaking during science; 10:30am – 12:10pm. 8 White – double English
- San Miguel & RHS 6th grade kayaking/Land of Fire Event, 12:45 – 2:30pm. Many schedule adjustments on this day.
- ACE Parent Night, MS and US, Tuesday, September 26, 5:30pm
- BiWeekly Reports due: 10pm
- WEDNESDAY, 9/27
- FULL FACULTY/ STAFF MEETING, 7:30 a.m. in Flynn Lecture Hall
- THURSDAY, 9/28
- Middle School Night in School, Thursday, September 28, 6:30pm in Hale & Gibson.
Thursday night, September 28, is our annual event for parents, and is a very important part of launching the school year. The Middle School faculty are excited to share their course overviews and plans for the academic year, as parents follow an abbreviated student schedule.
Of special importance this year, the entire MS community will gather midway through the evening in the Campbell Center for a presentation on the results of the school’s “Vision Quest,” explaining where we are going as a school and our plan to get there.
6:00 pm: Welcome. Refreshments and casual conversation in the Hale building.
6:30 pm: Program begins. Parents join their student’s Adviser for a short meeting and to learn details of the evening’s program.
- FRIDAY, September 29:
- Mariner Period – Diversity Speaker: John Sharon, 1:35pm in the Commons
Lunch Clean Up: Sweeping and Food Waste Weight
ADVISORY GROUP – CONROY
- Monday: Jaida, Andrew, Biagio
- Tuesday: Hamad, Dudley, Waela
- Wednesday: Colin, Jaida, Andrew
- Thursday: Biagio, Hamad, Dudley
- Friday: Waela, Colin
GAMES – Tuesday, September 26
- Soccer A vs. San Miguel School, 3:45pm
- Soccer B @ Philomena’s School, 3:45pm
- Field Hockey vs. Lincoln School, 4:15pm
Major Projects, Tests, Assignments…..
- Expositions – Topics should be chosen, with parent signatures and submitted. Next up, identifying and scheduling the INTERVIEW!
- Algebra – Quiz THURSDAY – algebra Topics: word problems (solving for one variable, combining like terms, and evaluate expressions.
- Science – KAYAKING: 8W on Monday, 8B on Tuesday. Bathing suits, towels and water shoes or old sneakers needed.
- French: Review test on Wednesday. It will cover être, avoir, faire, jouer, as well as sports, activités, and instruments.
- Math, Oct. 3 Unit 1 test
- KAYAKING with San Miguel School, Tuesday after lunch. Bathing suits, towels and water shoes or old sneakers needed.
- French: Test on presentations, numbers 1-20, and class objects on Monday 10/2
- Science: Test on Thurs. Sept. 28 on the Water Cycle
- Math: Quiz THURSDAY – math Topics: Reading graphs, prime factorization, and rounding.
- History – Test on Wednesday, September 25
- English – Vocabulary Quiz, Tuesday, September 26
Boxtops are BACK!
This is the real reason for reading the MSWA; the 2017-2018 Box Top for Education Competition begins now. Time to empty out that small drawer in the kitchen where box tops have been accumulating all summer and send them in with your MS student. Collection bins are in Ms Conroy’s room (6th), Mrs. HR’s room (7th) and Mr. Jedrey’s room (8th). Last year, the 8th grade ran away with the competition early and enjoyed a wonderful ice cream party, and pizza party. Time to share the wealth! Time to get clipping!
Mrs. Fairchild with Kristina Greim ’23.
Ms Conroy with Jaida Catallozzi ’24 and Katie Kerachsky ’23.
Mrs. McClintick and the 6th grade science class.
Mr. Greenwood ends the week with a discussion in US Government with the 8th grade.
Mrs. Gower with her 6th grade English students.
The end of a “short” week. 7th graders Alexis Cote, Jae Park and Ben Lawson