December 16, 2017

Happy Holidays!

Image courtesy of the RHS Visual Arts Department

Administrative offices will be closed at noon on Friday, December 22 and will reopen Tuesday, January 2, 2018.

Classes resume Wednesday, January 3, 2018.

Winter Solstice Celebration

On Friday, December 15, students, faculty, and staff gathered in Campbell Center to ring in the beginning of winter break during the annual Winter Solstice Celebration. We wish everyone a joyous holiday season and look forward to a healthy and prosperous new year!

Videos by Rob Lee:

View a slideshow of the day’s events:

Winter Solstice Celebration 2017

Giving Back

Immediately after the Winter Solstice celebration, the Community Service Club gathered all of the gifts that were donated by students in all grades, as well as by faculty, staff, and parents, and loaded them onto a minibus. Sue Eaton and Maureen Fahey then drove them to Communities for People in Fall River, MA, where they will be distributed to children in need. This annual community service event has been growing each year, and soon it might be time to use the big yellow bus to bring the gifts! Thank you to everyone who was so generous in donating gifts and/or money to sponsor these children.

Thank You, PTL, for the Cookies!

Here are just some of the comments from Rocky Hill School faculty and staff after picking up their tins of cookies on Thursday, courtesy of the RHS Parent Teacher League:

“The PTL elves have some awesome baking skills.”
“Wonderful job, thank you all so much!”
“Love Love Love cookies…this will help me stay motivated to keep running with the MS Girls’ Basketball team at practice!”
“Delicious! Thank you, PTL!!!”

Attention Parents:
Did you leave behind your tray or container from the Cookie Swap? Several items are still upstairs in Hopelands. Contact Missy Walker at ext. 296 if you’d like to stop by and pick up your item(s).

Have You Seen Any Gingerbread Men?

Earlier this week in Library, Mrs. Silva read the preschoolers the story of The Gingerbread Baby. The children then made some gingerbread men of their own with Chef Jay in the Flik kitchen. But wouldn’t you know it? They ran away! Please ask friends and family members if they have seen our gingerbread men. If they see them, please ask them to send us a postcard or letter (Rocky Hill School, Att: Preschool, 530 Ives Road, East Greenwich, RI 02818) or an email (lreimer@rockyhill.org) telling us where little treats have traveled. There is lots of speculation as to where they might be, and the preschoolers will map their travels over the next few weeks.

Hoping for a Device-Free Holiday?

For the holiday season, the RHS Technology Department shares these ideas for device-free time from Common Sense Media. Click here to read their suggestions for activities and ways to manage technology.

Tributes Make Great Gifts!

The Crest yearbook invites you to support the Yearbook Club and celebrate the Class of 2018 or Rocky Hill School by ordering a tribute/sponsorship page. Your tribute can include quotes, personal messages, and/or photos to celebrate a graduate. Sponsors are also welcome to send their good wishes to graduating seniors while promoting their business. The deadline for tributes in February 1, 2018. Click here to learn more or to order.

RHEA & RHEA+ Courses Added

Two new courses have been added to RHEA, including one for adults!

• Pottery (RHEA+, for adults)
  • Cooking for the Community (grades 6-12)

Click here to view all of the courses availableThe deadline for registration is Friday, January 5, 2018.

New Mobile App Features

A new section that highlights student projects has been added to the RHS Mobile App. Currently, the 2nd and 4th grade classes have projects that they wish to share with the community and more will be added over the coming weeks and months.

Mrs. Cruff’s 2nd grade class mapped the campus and created a tour for people to follow. A sketch and an audio file for each location have been added to educate the public about the campus.

Mr. Laurent’s 4th grade class documented their Smith’s Castle partnership project, and it includes a timeline, video, and photos that document their work.

All projects can be shared by clicking the “share arrow” located at the top right corner of the screen.

Check out The Tide

The Upper School newspaper, The Tide, has published a few articles in preparation for winter break. Check it out by clicking the image below:

13th Annual Mariner Classic Boys’ Basketball Tournament

Sunday, December 17

Come out and support the Boys’ Varsity Basketball team as they take on high level competition!

11:00 a.m.
Rocky Hill School vs. Springfield Commonwealth Academy

12:30 p.m.
Hope HS vs. Springfield Commonwealth Academy

2:00 p.m.
Rocky Hill School vs. Redemption Christian Academy

Alumni Basketball Games

Please join us as a player or spectator for this FUN annual event. Don’t worry if you are a little bit rusty or a bit out of shape, that’s what subs are for!

Saturday, January 6, 2018
10:30 a.m. – Alumnae vs Girls’ Varsity
11:30 a.m. – Alumni vs. Boys’ Varsity

Do you need a little practice?
We will hold a practice session for alumni players on
Wednesday, January 3 in the gym from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

Please let us know if you’d like to participate in the practice and/or the big game on Saturday by clicking here.

Griffin Spinney ’20, Christoff Bandele ’20, Cole Larimer ’20, George Kass ’20, Kobe Polley ’20, Dylan Lehouiller ’21, Max Lehouiller ’20, and Cortlandt Meyerson ’20 show off their snowman making skills. Photo by Rob Lee.

5th Grade Visits Welcome House

The fifth grade math Holiday Treats Project culminated with a visit to the Welcome House, a shelter in South Kingstown. Students learned how to multiply and divide fractions by doubling and halving a holiday recipe. They then baked their treats and donated boxes of treats to the people at the Welcome House. During their visit, they learned about all the important services provided by the Welcome House to the homeless population in South County.

Alex and Ani Collaboration

Rocky Hill School’s Visual Arts department visited Alex and Ani on Wednesday for a tour and a peek into their creative work space. The art teachers met with Beecher Leonard-Fritzmeier, Alex and Ani’s Vice President of Design, plus their photographer and design team. The Visual Arts Department is excited about an upcoming collaboration between the Alex and Ani designers and Rocky Hill students.

Orabel Piccoli ’24 was so excited about this opportunity that she created a display board showing her design process for a charm that features Rocky Hill School’s core values. The Alex and Ani design team was thrilled to receive Orabel’s design board!

The Alex and Ani design team was presented with Orabel Piccoli’s design board for a Rocky Hill School-themed charm.

Constructing a “Crime Scene”

Mrs. Matson’s Forensic Science students constructed a simulated blood spatter booth so that they could simulate the patterns of blood spatter from various injury and instrument types. When they return in January, they will use trigonometry to estimate the location of a victim.

Kindergarten Studies Homes Around the World

The kindergarteners have been studying homes around the world. They made watercolor homes for the United States and designed homes for families in India and the UAE. Most recently, they studied the refugee population in Syria.

“We want to make them better homes, so they don’t have to live in tents.”  – Sorrel B.

The students made blueprints and built new homes with recycled materials. In their journals, they wrote a sentence about who would live in their home. This project, which provided an opportunity to teach empathy, geography, design, and innovation, transformed the kindergarteners into Global Citizens!

Mini Mariners Compete

On Sunday, December 11, the Lower School FIRST LEGO League Robotics Team, the Min Mariners, competed in a day-long qualifying tournament. Hosted by All Saints STEAM Academy, the team members spent the day presenting their project idea, a board game for young students that teaches them about the human water cycle and global water crisis, to a panel of judges. They also shared an executive summary of their robot design and programming to expert roboticists. “Wally,” the robot, had a long day at the robotics table. Although not qualifying for the state tournament, the group of young innovative problem solvers and public speakers learned about hydrodynamics, engineering, coding, and most importantly, themselves. Mr. Laurent was inspired by their perseverance and tenacity. Congratulations, Mini Mariners!

International Book Swap

The 4th and 5th grade students recently participated in a book and information swap with a partner school, the TWGHs Lo Yu Chik Primary School in Hong Kong. The 3rd grade participated in a book and information swap with the OŠ Gvozd school in Croatia, and 6th and 7th grade did the same with the Escola Básica e Secundária À Beira Douro school in Portugal.

Athletics Results & Recaps

Click the button below to view results and recaps from recent games, matches, and meets. You can also view results and recaps on our mobile app under “Athletics,” as well as photos from each team.

Athletic Events

Boys’ Varsity Basketball
Sunday, December 17
11:00 a.m.
Mariner Classic @ East Greenwich, RI (Rocky Hill School)

Boys’ JV Basketball
Friday, January 5
4:00 p.m.
PCD School Basketball @ East Greenwich, RI (Rocky Hill School)

Girls’ Varsity Basketball
Saturday, January 6
10:30 a.m.
Alumni @ East Greenwich, RI (Rocky Hill School)

MS Boys’ A Basketball
Thursday, January 4
4:45 p.m.
PCD MS Basketball @ East Greenwich, RI (Rocky Hill School)

MS Boys’ B Basketball
Thursday, January 4
3:45 p.m.

MS Girls’ A Basketball
Thursday, January 4
4:45 p.m.
Lincoln School MS Basketball @ Providence, RI (Lincoln School)

MS Girls’ B Basketball
Thursday, January 4
4:45 p.m.

Send us your news!

Do you have news you’d like to share with the Rocky Hill School community? Email a description and photo, if possible, to pr@rockyhill.org.